Watermelon is a juicy and delicious fruit that’s perfect for summertime snacking packed with health benefits.
Here are the many reasons you should incorporate watermelon to your diet:
- Hydrates your body: Watermelon is made up of 92% water, making it an excellent source of hydration.
- Rich in nutrients: Watermelon is rich in vitamins A, C, and B6, as well as potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants.
- Good for your heart: The lycopene in watermelon has been shown to help lower cholesterol and blood pressure, which can reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Helps with digestion: Watermelon is a good source of fiber, which can help keep your digestive system healthy.
- Supports healthy skin: The high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants in watermelon can help keep your skin looking healthy and young.
- Boosts your immune system: Watermelon contains vitamin C, which can help boost your immune system and protect against illness.
- Can improve your mood: Watermelon contains an amino acid called L-citrulline, which has been shown to improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression.
- Lowers inflammation: Watermelon contains anti-inflammatory compounds, which can help reduce inflammation throughout your body.
- Aids in weight loss: Watermelon is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a great option for those trying to lose weight.
- Improves athletic performance: Watermelon has been shown to improve athletic performance by reducing muscle soreness and increasing endurance.
- Reduces muscle pain: The amino acid L-citrulline in watermelon has been shown to reduce muscle soreness after exercise.
- Can improve sleep: Watermelon contains the amino acid tryptophan, which can help improve sleep quality.
- Can reduce the risk of cancer: The antioxidants in watermelon may help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, including breast and prostate cancer.
- May improve eye health: Watermelon contains vitamin A, which is essential for good eye health.
- Can reduce the risk of kidney stones: Watermelon contains compounds that can help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Can help with asthma: The antioxidants in watermelon can help reduce inflammation in the airways, which may help alleviate asthma symptoms.
- Can improve brain health: The high levels of antioxidants in watermelon may help protect the brain from damage and improve cognitive function.
- Can improve fertility: The L-citrulline in watermelon has been shown to improve blood flow and increase libido, which can improve fertility in men.
- Can reduce the risk of stroke: The high levels of potassium in watermelon can help reduce the risk of stroke.
- Can help with diabetes: Watermelon has a low glycemic index, which means it won’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
Now that you know the many health benefits of watermelon, you may be wondering how to pick a ripe one.
Here are some tips:
- Look for a uniform shape: A ripe watermelon should be symmetrical and have a uniform shape.
- Check the field spot: The field spot is the area where the watermelon rested on the ground. A ripe watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot.
- Knock on it: If you knock on the watermelon and it sounds hollow, it’s likely ripe.
- Pick it up: A ripe watermelon should feel heavy for its size.
- Check the skin: A ripe watermelon should have a dull skin, not a shiny one.
So go ahead and enjoy some delicious and nutritious watermelon this summer!
Looking for an easy recipe? Here’s a yummy recipe for my delicious Watermelon and Feta Salad
Watermelon & Feta Salad
- 4 cups of cubed watermelon
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cubed watermelon in a large bowl.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese and chopped mint leaves to the bowl.
- Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently toss the salad until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Serve chilled.
Enjoy this refreshing and delicious Watermelon & Feta Salad! (Serves 4)