Eggplants are such a great source of different vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that they’re a definite must in any heart-healthy diet.
Eggplant, also known as aubergine, is a nutritious vegetable that is widely used in various cuisines around the world. It is low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with essential vitamins and minerals that offer numerous health benefits. In this blog post, we will explore the health benefits of eggplant and provide an easy recipe that showcases its versatility.
- Rich in Nutrients: Eggplant is an excellent source of fiber, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, and other important nutrients that help maintain overall health.
- May Lower Blood Pressure: The high levels of potassium in eggplant may help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- May Improve Brain Function: The anthocyanins in eggplant may help improve cognitive function and protect against age-related mental decline.
- May Promote Weight Loss: Eggplant is low in calories and high in fiber, which can help promote satiety and reduce overall calorie intake, aiding in weight loss.
- May Improve Digestion: The high fiber content in eggplant may help improve digestion and reduce the risk of constipation and other digestive issues.
- May Help Lower Cholesterol: The antioxidants in eggplant may help reduce levels of LDL cholesterol, which is a risk factor for heart disease.
Now that we know about the many health benefits of eggplant let’s try out a delicious and easy recipe with it:
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the eggplant rounds in the beaten eggs and then coat them in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the eggplant rounds until golden brown and crispy.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish. Layer the fried eggplant rounds on top of the sauce.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy the delicious and healthy eggplant Parmesan!
In conclusion, eggplant is a nutritious and versatile vegetable that offers numerous health benefits. With this easy Eggplant Parmesan recipe, you can incorporate this delicious vegetable into your diet and reap its many health benefits.