Steel Cut Oats are a definite staple in our home and get consumed quite regularly. This power food is an excellent source of protein, helps to maintain your blood sugar levels, delays the emptying of the tummy (making you feel fuller longer) and is a significant source of B vitamins and iron.
Here’s how to make our family favourite:
- 1 cup steel cut oats (makes enough for 3-5 servings)
- 2-3 cups water (use 2 cups for a firmer intact texture, 3 cups for a more creamy texture)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp all natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add your oats stirring occasionally and return to a boil, add your cinnamon, vanilla and almond milk.
- Reduce your heat to low and bring your oats to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. The longer you simmer the softer the oats and the thicker and creamier the consistency.
- Once the oats have reached your desired consistency serve topped with your favourite ingredients. I like slivered almonds, raisins, chia seeds, goji berries, apricots, shredded coconut, crushed walnuts or simply top with fresh fruit.
I enjoyed mine today with 1 cup berries and 1 tbsp. slivered almonds.
PureSense Health Clients: 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats + 1 cup berries + 1 tbsp. slivered almonds = 1 starch + 1 fruit + 1 fat