These seriously delicious Triple Berry Scones are a wonderful treat with a cup of coffee or tea or even part of your Sunday morning brunch!
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold coconut oil
- 1 container applesauce (½ cup)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 ¼ cup frozen or fresh mixed berries
Glaze: (Optional – Instead of the glaze, you can simply sprinkle a pinch of large granulated sugar on each scone prior to baking.)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 375’ C
- Combine sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Cut in cold margarine until the mixture resembles crumbs
- In a liquid measuring cup, add almond milk and applesauce, mix together
- Gradually pour liquid mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. The dough should not be sticky, but should hold its shape
- Knead the dough 8-10 times
- Gently fold the berries into the dough. If using frozen berries, be sure that they have not been thawed and work quickly so as to avoid discolouring the dough.
- Divide dough in 2, and pat each portion into a circle. Divide the portions into 8 equal wedges, and place on a pan lined with parchment and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden on the edges. Serve warm.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and water and drizzle on top of the scones (optional)
Recipe Yields: 16 Delicious Scones
PureSense Health Clients: 1 scone = 1 starch + 1 fruit