Heart healthy? Check – High-fibre? Check – Kiddo approved? Check – Have one with breakfast or as a yummy snack between meals!
Healthy High-Fibre Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips or crushed walnuts
*Note: We kept the raisins out and added some after we poured the batter into the muffin cups and lightly pushed them into the batter with a toothpick. Some muffins had raisins, others chocolate chips and some crushed walnuts. All were topped with either dry oatmeal or raw sugar granules.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line your muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the milk and fresh lemon juice, mix well and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add in the wheat bran; let mixture sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add bran/milk mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, mix until just blended.
- Fold in raisins or wait until after they are in the muffin tins like we did.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let them cool on a wire rack and serve.
Recipe Yields: 12 Bran Muffins
PureSense Health Clients: 1 Muffin= 2 Starch